Nebka's Nook: Red, White, and Blue Party
Welcome to Nebka’s Nook!
I’m so excited to join the Tar Valon Times! This month I’ll be giving you some ideas to host a Red, White, and Blue Party! We’ll be doing a decoration craft that is easy for even small children, a fun layered drink, and a yummy dessert!
Red, White, and Blue Windsock Craft
- What you will need
- Blue and White Streamers
- 18 oz. Red Plastic Cups
- Star Stickers
- How to Make a Patriotic Windsock
Poke a small hole in the top of the cup. Cut a piece of string about two feet long and poke both ends of the string through the hole towards the inside of the cup. Place your hand inside the cup and pull the string ends almost all the way through. Tie the two ends together to make a big knot. Pull the string back out of the cup. The knot should keep the string from coming all the way through.
Stick star stickers all over the outside of the cup.
To finish cut blue and white streamers into three feet pieces and tape them alternately to the inside of the cup.
Red, White, and Blue Layered Drink
Non-alcoholic and kid-friendly for your next party! If you would like to make a grown-up version of this drink just mix a clear alcohol with the red drink. Layered drinks work because of the sugar content. The sugar content of each layer contains less sugar than the layer below it.
- clear drink cups
- 1 Cup Red drink - I used Cherry 7-up
- 1 Cup White drink - I used Gatorade Polar
- 1 Cup Blue drink - I used Hawaiian Punch
- Fill your glass 1/3 of the way full with the red drink.
- Fill to the top with ice.
- Slowly pour the remaining drinks directly on top of a piece of ice.
As you can see my white did not show up very well. I will experiment with some other choices and let y'all know once I perfect it... But the whole family enjoyed the results and thought it was a cool experiment.
NOTE: You MUST pour SLOWLY, DIRECTLY over ice!!!
Cheesecake Filled Strawberries
- 24 large, fresh strawberries
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, room temperature or softened slightly (I used a 12oz whipped just so it was easier)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 24 fresh blueberries
- Cut the stems from the strawberries, so the strawberries can sit cut-side down.
- Cut a deep "X" from the tip down, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl with a hand mixer until nice and fluffy.
- Gently open up each strawberry and pipe the filling inside, just cut off the corner of a zip-top bag and squeeze the cheesecake filling inside the strawberries that way.
- Top each filled strawberry with a blueberry. These are best served after the strawberries have been chilled for at least an hour. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days depending on how firm/soft the strawberries are.
I hope you enjoyed these fun summer party ideas!! Always remember when you are spending time outside in the summer heat to have plenty of water available for your friends and family as it is very important to stay hydrated. Enjoy!!!