A similar entry appears in the Wheel of Time Companion. Other information about the character is also included in the Companion, but we did not use it in the TarValon.Net Library.
Author: Kyria d'Oreyn
Faolain Orande is an Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah. As such, she is aligned with the rebel Aes Sedai. She is dark and young, a little older than Nynaeve with a round face and dark, curly hair (TDR, Ch. 11).
When we first see her, she is an Accepted in the White Tower who later follows the rebel Aes Sedai to Salidar. After Egwene has been raised to the Amyrlin Seat, she is raised to Aes Sedai by decree (TDR, Ch. 11; LoC, Ch. 36).
- When Elayne, Egwene and Nynaeve return to the Tower from Falme, Faolain, Theodrin and another Accepted are to take them to their rooms with orders regarding how to deal with them (TDR, Ch. 11).
- When Egwene is whispering with Elayne through the little hole in her wall, Faolain pushes open the door to take Egwene to the Amyrlin. In the anteroom, she tells Leane that Egwene does not show enough discipline for a novice. Leane sends Faolain to Marris Thornhill to rake paths in the garden (TDR, Ch. 13).
- When Egwene searches for "the woman in silver" (aka. Lanfear), she sees Faolain and another Accepted in one of the galleries (TDR, Ch. 25).
- Faolain is taking petitions when Min arrives at the Tower. Min insists the right to ask a private audience with the Amyrlin and Faolain says that she will pass the message on to the Keeper of the Chronicles, but that Min should not think too much of it (TSR, Ch. 1).
- She complains about having to hide when Min arrives at Salidar. She seems angry with Siuan and Logain, Min's company (TFoH, Ch. 26).
- Faolain and Emara harass Siuan and Leane, and are punished by Sheriam until they learn better (TFoH, Ch. 50).
- Faolain thinks Nynaeve and Elayne have run home, until she sees them again. She takes two of their company, Areina and Nicola, to be tested for the ability to channel (TFoH, Ch. 50).
- Faolain is raised to something more than Accepted, allowing her a little more freedom (TFoH, Ch. 54), an act instigated by Sheriam and her cronies. (LoC, Ch. 37).
- Nicola has to run errands for Faolain until her next lesson (LoC, Ch. 12). Elayne tells Nynaeve later that Nicola happened to be in her novice class instead of running errands and Faolain came to know why. She rebuked Elayne for not being in control of her novices when one nearly set the tent on fire (LoC, Ch. 13).
- She has to watch Elayne and Nynaeve scrub pots, although would rather be "working on something of her own" (LoC, Ch. 15).
- She is raised by Egwene al'Vere on her celebrations day after being raised Amyrlin (LoC, Ch. 36). She chooses the Blue Ajah (ACoS, Ch. 11).
- Theodrin had to stop Faolain from reprimanding Leane, who sulks while bringing them Egwene's order of asking around "Marigan's" tent (ACoS, Ch. 9).
- Faolain and Theodrin are in Egwene's tent when she arrives and tell her that some men have seen Halima near Marigan's tent. When Egwene is about to dismiss them, they put themselves forward and swear an oath of fealty and receive their first tasks from her (ACoS, Ch. 11).
- When Lelaine enters Egwene's tent, Faolain follows at her heels, seemingly having "accepted" Lelaine's offered protection (TPoD, Ch. 16).
- After Lelaine finds out that Faolain functions as a spy, she confines and questions her (CoT, Ch. 30; KoD, Ch. 1).
- She is one of the women sent to the Black Tower. She still has not returned weeks later when Egwene is freed (TGS, Ch. 45).
At first sight, Egwene thinks that Faolain is going to choose the Red Ajah (TDR, Ch. 11). Even later, Egwene hardly considers her as a potential friend. Likewise, Faolain does not like Egwene, but nevertheless supports her simply because she is the Amyrlin (ACoS, Ch. 11).
Faolain holds no love for rule-breakers and is contemptuous of wilders (TDR, Ch. 11).
Faolain is displeased that Nynaeve - a wilder - was no novice at all and took full advantage during the lessons she was teaching as Accepted. Twice she was set above Nynaeve to teach her and she sent her to Sheriam. It also disturbs her that Elayne and Egwene have been novices for less than a year (TFoH, Ch. 50).
She despises Siuan and Leane, because she thinks the whole split of the Tower was their fault (TFoH, Ch. 50).
Although she has been raised to Aes Sedai and been accepted by the Blue Ajah, sisters still treat her like an Accepted (WH, Ch. 10).
- She spent eight years as a novice and five years as an Accepted (TFoH, Ch. 50).
- Min has a viewing of Faolain that says that good things are coming for her (TFoH, Ch. 50).
- She wants Egwene to know the truth of her words and wishes that she had sworn the oaths on the Oath Rod already (ACoS, Ch. 11).
- In Lelaine's opinion Faolain will make a fine Aes Sedai (KoD, Ch. 1).
"I am surprised to see you here, wilder. I thought you had gone running back to your village, and our fine Daughter-Heir to her mother." (Faolain to Nynaeve and Elayne; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 50)
"Are you still souring milk for a hobby, Faolain?" (Elayne to Faolain; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 50)
"Leane and I were promised we would be left alone. Speak to Faolain or Emara if you want to know what happens to anyone who molests us. They weren't the first or the worst, but they cried the longest." (Siuan to Nynaeve; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 50)
""Oh, don't grimace so, Siuan. She didn't betray you, at least not intentionally. She made one slip too many, and I decided to press her, rather hard. Not the way to treat another sister, but then, she's really just an Accepted until she can be tested and passes." (Lelaine to Siuan on Faolain; Knife of Dreams, Chapter 1)