A community of this size requires a rich administrative structure. TarValon.Net has hundreds of positions held by community members to keep up with the daily running of the site. All positions are volunteer and chosen by the position's direct and indirect managers from a pool of applicants. The Amyrlin Seat is the final authority on all new hirings.
Originally, Tower organisation was fairly loose. Primary administration consisted of Membership Administrators who dealt with membership issues and raisings. A few other positions were added over the years as more specialized positions became necessary, such as Mistress of Revels to organize real life events and Mistress of the Watch to maintain the message boards. The Amyrlin Seat would also use this group as well as the Hall of Sitters and Warder Council for general advising. This group was collectively referred to as "administration" and reported directly to the Amyrlin Seat with help from the Keeper of Chronicles and Master at Arms.
The Ajahs and Companies had various duties assigned to them which made up some extra duties needed at the Tower. Examples include the Blue Ajah helping to keep the Amyrlin updated with their Eyes and Ears, and the Green Ajah keeping their eyes out for spambots, hackers, and other such Darkfriends.
In 2004, the Tower implemented a Department structure to manage the growing number of positions required to offer the various services desired by administration. The structure was discussed and agreed upon at the 2004 Admin Meeting in California. This was a direct response to two growing issues:
- The introduction of new services (such as IRC games and message board events) which did not fit in the current administration
- The growing need of a more structured organisation to manage the current positions and all those being added
Five Departments were created at the meeting, and duties were divided among them. The Departments allowed for both a better management of current services and the introduction of new services which could not earlier be officially supported. For full details on each Department, see that Department's page. A basic overview is as follows:
- Department of Administration - General administrative duties, such as treasury, legal counsel, administrative assistants, etc. Originally headed by the Amyrlin Seat, with many duties also performed by the Master at Arms.
- Department of Membership - The bulk of administration pre-Departments including Heads of Ajah, Company Commanders, Hall of Sitters, etc. Originally headed jointly by the Keeper of the Chronicles (female half) and Master at Arms (male half).
- Department of Information Technology - All technical aspects of running the Tower, including message boards, the main site, etc. A new position was created to be the Director of this Department.
- Department of Membership Services (now split into Departments of Community Development and Real Life Services) - The "catch-all" Department. Real life events, message board activities, freedays, and other extra services. A new position was created to be the Director of this Department.
- Department of Research and Communication (now split into Departments of Research and Communication) - The Tower Library, Tar Valon Times, Classroom, Book Discussion forums, etc. Originally headed jointly by the Tower Librarian (research half) and Tar Valon Times Editor (communication half).
This category has the following 13 subcategories, out of 13 total.
- ► Administrative and Staff Positions (9 C, 44 P)
- ► Department of Community Outreach (9 C, 17 P, 3 F)
- ► Department of Events and Conferences (45 C, 11 P, 4 F)
- ► Department of Marketing (6 C, 6 P, 2 F)
- ► Department of Membership (36 C, 53 P, 3 F)
- ► Department of Moderators and Operators (4 C, 7 P, 2 F)
- ► Department of Research and Records (6 C, 9 P, 2 F)
- ► Department of Technology (3 C, 11 P, 4 F)
- ► Executive Branch (1 C, 16 P, 2 F)
- ► Organisational Charts (1 C, 3 P, 17 F)
- ► PSAs (6 P)